Friday 13 July 2018

Anticholinergic Drugs and their Pharmacological actions


Anticholinergic Drugs and their Pharmacological actions
‘Anticholinergic drugs’ is restricted the drugs which block actions of Ach on CNS muscarinic receptors and autonomic effectors. This nicotinic receptor antagonists also block some actions of ACh, they are generally known as ‘neuromuscular blockers’ and ‘ganglion blockers’.
Ex- Atropine- It is highly work for muscarinic receptors, but it also synthetic substitutes do possess significant nicotinic blocking property in addition.

CLASSIFICATION
1. Natural alkaloids - Hyoscine, Atropine
2. Semisynthetic derivatives - Atropine methonitrate, Homatropine, Atropine methonitrate, Hyoscine butyl bromide, Ipratropium bromide, Tiotropium bromide.
3. Synthetic compounds-
(a) Mydriatics: Cyclopentolate, Tropicamide.
(b) Antisecretory-antispasmodics:
(i) Quaternary compounds: Propantheline, Oxyphenonium, Clidinium, Pipenzolate methyl bromide, Isopropamide, Glycopyrrolate.
(ii) Tertiary amines: Dicyclomine, Valethamate, Pirenzepine.
(c)Vasicoselective: Oxybutynin, Flavoxate,
(d)Antiparkinsonian: Trihexyphenidyl (Benzhexol), Procyclidine, Biperiden.

PHARMACOLOGICAL ACTIONS
Central nervous system
Atropine has an overall CNS stimulant action. However, these effects are not appreciable at low doses which produce only peripheral effects because of restricted entry into the brain Atropine stimulates many medullary centers—vagal, respiratory, vasomotor. On excessive use it causes cortical excitation, disorientation, hallucinations, restlessness, delirium followed by respiratory depression and coma.

Cardiovascular system
Heart the most prominent effect of atropine is tachycardia. It blocks the M2 receptors on the SA node through which vagal tone decreases HR. Higher the existing vagal tone— more marked is the tachycardia (maximum in young adults, less in children and elderly). On i.m./s.c. injection transient initial bradycardia often occurs. Earlier believed to be due to stimulation of vagal center, it is now thought to be caused by blockade of muscarinic auto receptors (M1) on vagal nerve endings, thereby 
augmenting Ach release.



Fig- Cholinergic-Blocking Drugs acts on cardiac muscle and smooth muscle.

Blood pressure
Since cholinergic impulses are not involved in the maintenance of vascular tone, atropine does not have any consistent or marked effect on BP.

Eye
The autonomic control of iris muscles and the action of mydriatics as well as miotics is illustrated. If they are use topical it makes mydriasis. Atropine shows cycloplegia and abolition in light reflex, lasting 6–10 days. This results in photophobia and blurring of vision.

1 comment:

  1. How I became a happy woman again
    With tears of joy and happiness I am giving out my testimony to all viewers online, my problem with Stomach Cancer stage IB and HIV has caused me many pains and sadness especially in my family.
    I was so afraid of loosing my life, I suffered the embarrassment of visiting
    therapy hundreds of times, unfortunately they did not find a definitive solution to my problem, I cried all day and night, do I have to live my life this way? I searched all true the internet for care, I was scammed by internet fraudsters times without numbers… until a friend of mine who stays in the UK introduced me to a friend of hers who was cured of the same disease, and she introduced me to Dr Itua who cured her from Breast Cancer by this email/WhatsApp +2348149277967, drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com I contacted him and he promised that all will be fine and I had faith.He sent me his herbal medicines through Courier service and I was instructed on how to drink it for three weeks to cure,I followed the instructions given to me and Today am a happy woman again. He cures all kinds of diseases.

    ReplyDelete